Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day!
This day takes place every year on July 15 and reminds us to consider our pets when planning fire routes and safety in our homes. Today is the best day to learn how to keep your pet safe in a fire and raise awareness.
The US National Fire Protection Association estimates that nearly 1,000 home fires each year are accidentally started by the homeowners' pets. The American Kennel Club and ADT Security Services have joined forces to provide some tips. Let’s find out what we can do to keep our precious babies safe during a fire emergency...
- Start pet fire safety planning with prevention.
- Consider monitored smoke detectors.
- Make sure they are wearing tags with contact information and microchipped.
- Keep pets safe by keeping them away from hazards.
- Create their own Emergency Kit.
- Make a pet fire safety evacuation plan. Practice taking your pets with you during an emergency. Train them to come to you when you call.
- Know where your pet is likely to hide.
- Ensure your pet is not left unattended around an open flame and make sure to thoroughly extinguish any open flame before leaving your home.
- Make sure emergency responders know you have pets. Affix a pet alert window cling and write down the number of pets inside your house and attach it to a front window. This critical information saves rescuers time when locating your pets.
- Keep collars on pets and leashes at the ready in case firefighters need to rescue your pet.